Click to play!
View the source
I’m officially releasing Tetrissing for the 1GAM challenge. Tetrissing an open source Tetris clone I wrote in Processing.
I began working on the game during Ludum Dare 26. There were a few developers hacking on LD26 at the Ryerson Engineering building, so I decided to join them. I was only able to stay for a few hours, but I managed to get the core mechanics done in that time.
After I left Ryserson, I did some research and found most of the Tetris clones online lacked some basic features and has almost no polish. I wanted to contribute something different than what was already available. So, that’s when I decided to make this one of my 1GAM games. I spent the next 2 weeks fixing bugs, adding features, audio, art and polishing the game.
I’m fairly happy with what I have so far. My clone doesn’t rely on annoying keyboard key repeats, and it still allows tapping the left or right arrow keys to move a piece 1 block. I added a ‘ghost’ piece feature and kickback feature, pausing, restarting, audio and art. There was nothing too difficult about all this, but it did require work. So, in retrospect I want to take on something a bit more challenging for my next 1GAM game.
Another issue I ran into was a bug in the Processing.js library. When using tint() to color my ghost pieces, Pjs would refuse to render one of the blocks that composed a Tetris piece. I dove into the tint() code and tried fixing it myself, but I didn’t get too far. After taking a break, I realized I didn’t really have the time to invest in the Pjs fix and also came up with a dead-simple work-around. Since only the first block wasn’t rendering, I would render that first ‘invisible’ block off screen, then re-render the same block onscreen the second time. Fixing the issue in Pjs would have been nice. But that wasn’t what my main goal was.
Lastly, I was reminded how much time it takes to polish a game. I completed the core mechanics of Tetrissing in a few hours, but it took another 2 weeks to polish it!
If you like my work, please star or fork my repository on Github. Also, please post any feedback, thanks!